Sunday, April 8, 2012

Easter in Amarillo

During the years that we lived in Page, Easter has been somewhat of a production. Theo has an incredibly large family, and many of his relatives are in the Page area. Every year, they have an Easter party at a hogan out in the desert. This would necessitate the making of extra eggs, preparing some kind of side dish to share at the big potluck, rounding up our baseball gear and camp chairs, busting out the sunscreen, and so on.

This year, we are in Amarillo, and I have to say that I was secretly happy to have our own family celebration and call it good. I have this thing about going overboard on holidays, and even though I am always guilty of buying way too much candy every single time, I hate it when my kids gorge themselves on it. I know, I know.

One of the things we had to be mindful of this year was making sure that Ruby was unable to get out of the house in the middle of the night. She has a dog door, and she often goes out to do her business and make her patrolling rounds while we slumber. However, last year, we had no hard boiled eggs at the end of our egg hunt in the backyard. At first, we were baffled. Where had all the eggs gone? Needless to say, some of the shells made an appearance as evidence in the ensuing 12 hours or so. You get the drift I think, so I won't elaborate. All I can say is I can't believe that Ruby packed in more than two dozen eggs in a single midnight feast! I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are still buried somewhere in that yard.
















Happy Easter from all of the Texas Martins!

No comments:

Post a Comment