Thursday, July 21, 2011

Harry Potter Midnight Madness


For years I have been a huge Harry Potter fan. I love those books! Because I always, always enjoy books more than their big-screen adaptations, I try to think of them as completely separate entities. I must say though, this last movie was awesome!

For a long time my son, Corbin has been trying to convince me that he should be allowed to go to the midnight premier of this last movie. It was scheduled to come out just about a week before his 12th birthday, and he was definitely working that angle. Theo often goes with me to these kinds of things since I am a huge book fan and he is a big movie lover. It works for us. Being without my favorite date, I agreed to take Corbin and his big brother, Drake to this most magical movie night.

We purchased our tickets a day early to be sure we would get seats in our one screen local theater. The night of the big premier, we were doing our usual suff when my sister from Durango sent me a text urging me to go to the movie theater soon. She was sure if a line was forming at her theater by 8:00, we better get going. It was about 9:00, and so I told the boys to go ahead and ride their bikes to do some reconisence. Nice bonus of living in a small town. Sure enough, they called me and urged me to come. A line was indeed forming. I told them to get in line and I would arrive soon. Now before you think I was just letting them do the line-waiting leg-work, I was waiting for my nephew, Ty, and John's cousin, Hank, to arrive from Durango with a humongous trailer for our move to Texas. They still hadn't shown at 9:30 and a second panicked call from the boys about people from the theater marking tickets had me hurrying out the door.

When I arrived, the boys were sure we were doomed to sit in the lobby since they didn't have their tickets when the workers came through the line moments before I arrived. There was some wailing and even a little nashing of teeth. I assured them that I could take care of it and hastened to the lobby. Another bonus of living in a small town, the manager happens to be a high school aquantance, and she numbered our tickets, no problem.

I decided to leave the boys to wait so I could see if my trailer haulers had arrived. At home, still no boys. Another frantic phone call from the line that they were letting people go in had me once again dashing out the door leaving a hasty note.

Once seated, the boys were anxious for the movie to start. There was more than one exclamation that it was taking forever, multiple checkings on the time, and inquiries on how much longer. Finally the lights went down, and the magic ensued. What a fantastic ride! One of my many favorite parts was when Professor McGonagall mobilizes the school suits of armor in defending Hogwarts and exclaims, "I always wanted to use that spell." What was your favorite part?


1 comment:

  1. Austin quoted that line from the movie a zillion times. So glad you made it and have fun moving!

    ReplyDelete