Wednesday, August 10, 2011

The Move- Part I

After much planning and praying and worrying and waiting, the time had come to make our move to Amarillo, Texas! On the Monday prior to our departure, I signed papers with our renters-to-be. That was a big relief. They even brought their parents who were visiting to see the house. Seals of approval were abounding. Yippee!

Tuesday and much of Wednesday were spent doing all of those last minute business items like utilities, mail, and of course packing, packing, packing. Being without my husband was a challenge at times. However, some of my very awesome friends popped in and out to help with all kinds of tasks like picking up the uhaul, cleaning the fridge, and of course, packing, packing, and more packing. They were lifesavers!

I had asked people in our ward to come on Wednesday evening to help us load our trailer, generously on loan from my sister, Michelle, as well as fill the ginormous uhaul truck. When the appointed time arrived, one young man was at our door. Hmmmmm, okay, this is a smaller turnout than I expected. Time ticked on, and I began to grow uneasy. Were people really not going to show up? How the heck are me and 15 year old Roger, going to load the treadmill, or the piano?!! I began to relax a little as my dear friend and her husband showed up; they are somewhat the moving experts. From then on people began to trickle in, and then it became a flood....

Wow, I admit, I am not the most emotional person, but there came moment after moment when members of my ward family approached me to ask how I would like to put them to use, and it was all I could do to not break down in grateful weepy tears! There were couples, elders, young men, even kids, everywhere! It was all I could do to point people in the right direction most of the time. Now of course, there is the obvious joke that this ward was anxious to get us out of Page, hahaha. But, I choose to believe that all of these people came over to show us their love and support! I was humbled.

That night once the trucks were filled, the crowds dispersed, and many hugs and handshakes were given, a small group of my gals stayed to help me clear up the dregs. In all honesty, there wasn't much left to do, but we all felt like we weren't quite ready to say our see-you-soons (I am vehemently opposed to goodbye). Just like always, we chatted, we reminisced, and laughed a bunch. Finally, after midnight, we had our tearful parting until we are next in Page as visitors.

As I lay on my luxurious air mattress trying to catch at least a few hours of rest before our long drive the following day, I realized that I have lived in that house longer than any other home in my entire life! Whoa! Crazy! So many wonderful memories there like sending our oldest off to kindergarten, the birth of our youngest child, losing first teeth, riding the first two-wheeler, blessings, baptisms, a rich, full, happy, blessed life. Another flood, this time memories, and maybe a few tears. As much as I know that this is what the Lord wants our family to do, it was hard to go. THANK YOU to our Page family! The Martin family loves, loves, loves you. So, see-you-soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment