Sunday, July 21, 2013

Farewell Nate

This is a good kid!
 
With all of our busy schedules and coordinating vacations, the Ross reunion ended up being right after the farewell for Nate Hannay, Kim and Steve's youngest. He has been called to serve in Argentina and we are so excited for him! His brother Eric is already serving in the Angola, Africa mission, and with the recent lowering of the mission age, the two of them will be out at the same time.
 
Backing up to the October 2012 General Conference, I remember it was on Saturday morning, and we had actually just barely got our computer hooked up to the TV to watch when President Monson began to speak. As he made the declaration that effective immediately all 18 year old young men that had graduated could begin to serve, I felt a confirmation that this was from God. I was flooded with emotion as I thought of my own boys, growing so fast, soon to be eligible to get their own call to serve! It was overwhelming. I remember thinking again and again over the next several days and weeks, am I doing enough to prepare them?
 
Later that same Saturday, I called some of my family to talk about this exciting news about missions. When I called Kim, she related to me the conversation that she and Nate had immediately following the announcement. Nate had turned 18 that February and had been planning to attend college for a year in Hawaii. Kim and Steve had asked him to save extra money because of the increased cost of travel and living expense. Nate had a job and was doing just that. As Nate and Kim talked about what the lowering of the age meant for him, Nate declared that now he now knew why he really needed to have extra money. He wouldn't have to wait, he would be able to go right away. He never even questioned what he should do!
 
See what I mean, good kid! Or rather I should say, good man!
 
 
We are continually grateful for the good examples that abound in our family! We are so blessed! Nate gave a wonderful talk in sacrament meeting, and Kim and Steve put on a beautiful brunch for all of the family and friends. It was an event! With the Ross Reunion slated to begin officially on Monday, all of the Rosses had winged into town. What a joyous occasion to reunite for! What a wonderful way to kick off another fantastic reunion! God be with you, Elder Hannay!
 
 

















 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment